Sunday, March 2, 2014

IUP Names Franco DB Coach

INDIANA, PA- The Crimson Hawks have introduced former alum, All-American Johnny Franco to the coaching staff. Franco, who played safety at IUP, will serve as the Defensive Backs coach.

Franco graduated from IUP in spring 2013, receiving a B.S. in Nutrition with a Pre-Medical concentration. Before deciding to coach at IUP, Franco spent the past six months as a physical therapist technician.

 "I wanted to be a part of the tremendous coaching staff at IUP, as well as the storied tradition we had here." Franco said on his return to IUP.

This will be Franco's first time coaching at the collegiate level. He was very grateful to receive this opportunity and start his coaching career at his alma mater.

"Starting my coaching career at my alma mater is a great honor for me.  I had the privilege to learn from the great coaching staff we have here as a student-athlete, and now I am able to further my football career as a coach in the same program.  I couldn't ask for a better way to start my career."

In his senior campaign in 2012, the All-American safety totaled six interceptions along with five pass break ups. He was also third on the team with 58 tackles, 37 of them being solo and 3.5 tackles for loss. Franco was praised with multiple Second Team All-American post-season awards from the Associated Press, Daktronics, and CoSIDA Academic. In addition to his All-American awards, Franco received multiple conference and regional honors. Franco served as a team captain on a defense that helped lead the Crimson Hawks all the way to the NCAA regional championship game.
-- 
Ryan Rebholz
Sports Information Director
Indiana University of Pennsylvania

No comments:

Post a Comment