Friday, September 1, 2017

College Football Week One Picks ATS: Saturday/Sunday/Monday Games

9/2

Michigan State -17 Bowling Green
My Pick: Michigan State
Analysis: Sparty will not be as bad this year as they were last season. Despite Bowling Green being able to move the football fairly well offensively most days, the defense will not relent to allow the Falcons to fly to high.

Iowa -11.5 Wyoming
My Pick: Wyoming
Analysis: Iowa has been a slow starter in recent years, and they rarely have played against a team that can move the ball like the Cowboys can. Josh Allen is on showcase mode, and this is a huge stage for him.

Marshall -2.5 Miami (Ohio)
My Pick: Marshall
Analysis: Marshall was fairly terrible in 2016, and Miami was 0-6 midway through the season before making a bowl game. Marshall should be one of the most improved teams in the nation, and they are good to kick the FG to win it and cover.

Clemson -39.5 Kent State
My Pick: Clemson
Analysis: Kent State will have an interim coach in Don Treadwell. That caused the spread to hit 40 in some markets. I think that the Tigers are good for it here.

U Mass -2.5 Coastal Carolina
My Pick: U Mass
Analysis: CCU has been one of the better teams in FCS football for a few years now, but they begin their FBS era officially. The Chanticleers return very few starters on either side of the ball, and U Mass can rev it up offensively.

Penn State -30.5 Akron
My Pick: Penn State
Analysis: With the ferocity in which the Nittany Lions can move the football, Penn State could have this one covered by the half.

Louisville -24.5 Purdue
My Pick: Louisville\
Analysis: Lamar Jackson on a fast indoor track at Indianapolis is all I need to reference here. Louisville should win with ease, and Jackson should post some big numbers.

Nebraska -15 Arkansas State
My Pick: Nebraska
Analysis: The Huskers should have enough firepower to take this by just over two scores, and the defense could be the difference this week, even if it may not be as tough a D as we are used to with the Huskers.

Northwestern -24 Nevada
My Pick: Northwestern
Analysis: The Wildcats should get off to a much quicker start in 2017 than they did last season. Nevada is one of the lower tier teams in the Mountain West, and the Wildcats should get Justin Jackson unleashed early.

Illinois -6.5 Ball State
My Pick: Illinois
Analysis: This is a seriously low spread for the Illini at home. This is more based on a lack of faith in the Illini than an endorsement of the talent in Ball State.

Oklahoma -43 UTEP
My Pick: Oklahoma
Analysis: UTEP lost most of their major stars after last season, and the Sooners are at home. The crowd believes in the Sooners here, and so do I.

North Carolina -12.5 California
My Pick: Cal
Analysis: I just do not believe in the UNC QBs to give them a double digit line, even as a home favorite. Cal may be better than perceived early in the season, as they go to a more balanced attack.

Ole Miss -23.5 South Alabama
My Pick: USA
Analysis: Ole miss is coming off of one of the most turbulent off-seasons ever. South Alabama also upset Miss State in the opener last season. Distractions can kill.

USC -27 Western Michigan
My Pick: USC
Analysis: I get that this seems like a ton of points to lay on the Trojans in the opener, but they want to get off to a fast start to prove that they belong, and PJ Fleck is not at WMU anymore.

Texas -18.5 Maryland
My Pick: Maryland
Analysis: DJ Durkin will have some treats in store for the Longhorn offense, and you can bet on that. Texas is not put together enough under Tom Herman just yet to deserve this much love.

Notre Dame -18.5 Temple
My Pick: Notre Dame
Analysis: The horses on offense for the Irish should be able to push a reloading Temple team around just a bit.

Auburn -34 Georgia Southern
My Pick: Auburn
Analysis: The Eagles offense struggled to move the football last season, and Auburn is looking to ramp up their offense with Stidham at QB. Look for the War Eagle to be the only happy eagle on the field.

Georgia -14.5 Appalachian State
My Pick: Georgia
Analysis: App State is solid, but Georgia should avoid the mistakes that Tennessee made a year ago. I look for the Bulldogs to come in with an even attack, and stifle a very good Mountaineers team early.

Kentucky -10.5 Southern Miss
My Pick: Kentucky
Analysis: Wildcats look to avenge a major breakdown from the loss last season. I see the Wildcats learning some lessons from that loss.

NC State -5 South Carolina
My Pick: NC State
Analysis: Teams are even on offense, but Wolfpack get the edge on defense by a mile.

Michigan -4.5 Florida
My Pick: Michigan
Analysis: Florida has 10 suspended players for this neutral site game. Depth will be a major issue for the Gators, and Michigan should be able to expose that.

Vanderbilt -3 Middle Tennessee
My Pick: MT
Analysis: MT has the better QB, and is at home. They have the better offense overall, despite Ralph Webb at RB for Vandy. I see a frustrated Commodores team in the end.

Alabama -6.5 Florida State
My Pick: FSU
Analysis: I still like Bama to win the game in a close one, but I just don't like the points.

Boise State -10.5 Troy
My Pick: Troy
Analysis: Again, I like Boise State to win, but by more around 7 or 8. Misreading Troy is a dangerous thing to do here.

LSU -14.5 BYU
My Pick: LSU
Analysis: BYU will play physically on defense, but LSU should outclass the Cougars on offense. Guice will make all the difference for LSU in game that you should consider the under on as well.

Sunday

Virginia Tech -4 West Virginia
My Pick: West Virginia
Analysis: I love WVU all day here. I am not sure what the books are thinking here. Will Grier vs. Josh Jackson in the QB battle, and the Hokies are still favored? Grier has never lost a college start, and won't here either.

UCLA -3.5 Texas A&M
My Pick: Aggies
Analysis: UCLA hardly ever fares well against Power 5 opponents in openers, even at home. I am also not sold on UCLA offensively, as several items that plagued them a year ago have still plagued them in spring and fall camps. Sumlin gets a stay of execution here.

Monday

Tennessee -3 Georgia Tech
My Pick: Georgia Tech
Analysis: Tech is ready for this game across the board, while Tennessee is still trying to figure some things out at the end of fall camp. Tennessee was shaky against App State last season early, and that was with an established QB. They have very little established here.



No comments:

Post a Comment