Friday, November 24, 2017

The Chip Kelly Conundrum: As the Carousel Turns, Volume 3

Many of you have most likely already read my tweets in the last two days regarding the Chip Kelly situation. As I have stated, and has been confirmed by sources directly confirmed by people involved deeply in the negotiations and other figures close to the situation, Chip Kelly and UCLA have the framework of an agreement in place to make Kelly the next head coach of the UCLA football program. I cannot emphasize enough that I have not received any confirmation that this deal has been signed and completed, but I have been told that a deal should be locked down for an announcement as early as tomorrow from UCLA directly, and a press conference could be held as early as Monday.
Many people in the Florida camp still firmly believe that they have a deal in place with Chip Kelly as well. I will tell you that if that were truly the case, I would report that, however, I have received zero credible information from anyone involved in the Florida side of this story to say that this is true and factual. I have received such information from the UCLA camp, which is why I am reporting as such. Please understand that this is not a fan site. I do not report on any one school more deeply than another, and I have absolutely zero in the way of anyone from either side being able to hold anything over my head for information. I have received what I have received, and will report as such as credible information becomes available.
All of this is not to say that any deal with UCLA could still go sideways at any point, but I have been told, by credible sources directly involved, that this is unlikely, but not impossible. Until something is singed and announced, the world can be a strange place.
Reiterating other pieces to this that I have tweeted out in the last 48 hours are the following:


  • UCLA has made what I am told is a "substantial offer" to Kelly himself.
  • AD Dan Guerrero is not really the one making the calls here, but is involved.
  • Troy Aikman, as part of a larger group on influential individuals, is putting on a full court press on Kelly and his reps, and Under Armour is involved in backing the deal financially.
  • Kelly has already reached out to several former assistants, recruiting them to join him at UCLA.
  • The deal, in and of itself, is larger than any deal offered to any coach in UCLA history.
  • The willingness to pay north of $12 million to fire Jim Mora was a sign of a "seismic shift" in UCLA philosophies on football, and shows that they are going all in on football for the first time.
  • This deal would have been unlikely even five years ago.
  • We could have a presser as early as Monday morning on campus.
  • Kelly flew to Los Angeles for meeting with UCLA reps (still trying to confirm this).
  • Kelly's agent is a UCLA alum, and was directly contacted.
  • Kelly had a deal in place with Florida until Mora was fired, and put Florida off at that point once his reps were contacted by UCLA, forcing Florida AD Scott Stricklin and his team to fly back to Gainesville with nothing in hand. 
  • Kelly has turned down other overtures in the last 48 hours from Tennessee, Nebraska, and Texas A&M, and also stopped thinking about his fascinations with the Arizona State job, which were very real. 
  • Kelly had hesitations with Under Armour, as his friendship with Phil Knight was a problem, as Knight has a "bitter rivalry" with Under Armour, not so much with Adidas, which reps Arizona State. 
  • Any reservations with Under Armour have been resolved. 
  • Kelly will not be taking any offers from any other schools moving forward.
  • Florida has started to look at other candidates, such as Scott Frost, Charlie Strong, and Dan Mullen, as they are seeking a fallback plan. 
These are most of the facts as I know them to be at this time. There are other ongoing items as well, and I will be open to discussing them on Twitter, where you can find me @BiloFootball, as always. And also as always, any comments on this piece here on the blog are welcome. I will only ask that any comments are conducted with respect and are conductive to solid debate. Anything else will be ignored, deleted, and blocked. 

More as it becomes available...

No comments:

Post a Comment